Monday, October 11, 2010

Taking a stand against fear

I’ve been looking up verses on fear and worry. Man, there are TONS of them. Here is one of my favorites:

II Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

I’ve realized lately how much I live in fear. It seems like I have a lot of things to be afraid of right now:
I’m afraid that I won’t get a good job.
I’m afraid that all my years of toiling through nursing school were wasted.
I’m afraid I made a huge mistake and maybe I was never supposed to be a nurse.
I’m afraid that I blew it. God had a specific plan, and now I’m off course and I’ve blown it.
I’m afraid that we’re running out of money.
I’m afraid cause I can’t always see how God will provide for our needs.
I’m afraid because I have no idea what tomorrow holds, and I’m afraid I won’t like it.
I’m afraid to make a decision about my situation, because it might not be the “right” one.
I’m afraid of taking action, in case it’s in the wrong direction.
I could seriously go on and on and on…

But I won’t because I am going to take a stand against fear.

Matthew 6:31-34 “Therefore do not worry saying, ‘what shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

Even as I write down some of these fears that skim through my brain every day I realize how foolish it is. I don’t believe that God has one narrow craggy path for each of our lives and that if we take a wrong turn we’re doomed. Our God is the God of REDEMPTION. Yes sometimes we may take wrong turns and make poor decisions, but He can take and redeem those for His glory. There are so many Biblical examples of this. King David, Jonah, Abraham’s wife Sarah, Joseph's brothers,….
God is in the business of taking imperfect people in imperfect situations and renewing them; sometimes over and over and over again.

Isaiah 43: 1b-2 “Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you.”

Hebrews 13:6 “So we may boldly say: The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

So then, I’m not going to live in a spirit of fear; and the II Timothy verse tells us exactly what we can replace fear with: power, love, and a sound mind or self-discipline. (I think that he throws in the part about self-discipline to say that he knows it’s going to take a lot of self-discipline in order to not fall back into fear.) I know it will be an on-going process; but I’m going to try my darndest to live with a spirit of power and love. I’m going to seek God’s guidance about my situation and make decisions based on the wisdom that He has granted me. They may not always be the “right” one, but I know that if I am seeking after God, then He can redeem. I’m going to trust in His provision. I’m going to rest on that today.

Psalms 27:1 “THE LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

Isaiah 35:4 “Say to those that are fearful hearted, ‘Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with a vengeance, with the recompense of God; He will come and save you.’”

Psalms 118:6 “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Jeremiah 29:11-13 “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’”

Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

1st John 4:18 “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment